Τρίτη 3 Οκτωβρίου 2017

Counsellor (Acquisition #1) by Celia Aaron

26838277Counsellor (Celia Aaron)


SUMMARY


In the heart of Louisiana, the most powerful people in the South live behind elegant gates, mossy trees, and pleasant masks. Once every ten years, the pretense falls away and a tournament is held to determine who will rule them. The Acquisition is a crucible for the Southern nobility, a love letter written to a time when barbarism was enshrined as law.

Now, Sinclair Vinemont is in the running to claim the prize. There is only one way to win, and he has the key to do it — Stella Rousseau, his Acquisition. To save her father, Stella has agreed to become Sinclair's slave for one year. Though she is at the mercy of the cold, treacherous Vinemont, Stella will not go willingly into darkness.

As Sinclair and Stella battle against each other and the clock, only one thing is certain: The Acquisition always ends in blood. 



MY REVIEW


Modern Slavery in the Old South

This is one of these rare books that I DISLIKE/HATE all the characters, main and secondary.
But it still keeps my attention and my curiosity until the very end.
But I still love it and I want to start reading straight away the second book of the series
– although I know it will be pure torture for my poor soul.

Let’s see the players:

Sinclair Vinemont – He needs a willing slave to play with and to present her as his Acquisition at the ruling society of Louisiana. He is “tall, dark and psychotic”. Well, I always believed that wolf will always be the bad guy because we have never heard his side of the story. In this book we have the bad wolf’s point of view, but really this just made me dislike him more. Okay he knows what will happen. Ok he feels guilty. Ok he lusts for the girl. So what? He is just a pawn. (Am I the only one who noticed that Vinemont somehow rhymes with Lord Voldemort?)

Stella Rousseau – The willing victim, the martyr. Just a naïve girl who really has no clue about the people around her and their intentions. A girl who still falls for the bad guy, because deep down she is a masochist. She knows what Sinclair is capable of and she still offers him her soul. She sees signs about the rest of the people who are ruling her life and she still offers her life TO them, offers her life FOR them like she is a sacrifice lamb.

Mr Rousseau, the dad – What a ruthless, disgusting excuse for a father. There are hidden truths about him that come into light at the end of the book. Stella is still there for him. WTF! Why? I would have run away like hell hounds were after me.

Dylan, the stepbrother – Too persistent, although not wanted. I still don’t get what his role is. But he is definitely annoying.

Renee, the personal maid – She has her secrets and she had her deal of suffering. But her role is to soothe the victim and make her feel comfortable without revealing too much. There is no excuse for this.

Rest of the house staff – Hear Nothing, See Nothing, Say Nothing. What can I say about them?

Rebecca Vinemont, the mother- How can a mother teach her first born son how to become a tyrant? What a psycho twisted situation! I don’t care if she suffers about what she did. I don’t care that she lost her soul at the process. She was responsible for the innocent souls of her children. Another poor excuse for a mother!

Lucius Vinemont , the second brother – I think he is the most stomach-turning human being in the book. Please, please big bother let me play. I will be a good torturer. I am sure I can be a better sadist than you and our precious family will win.

Teddy Vinemont, the third brother – Okay he is young, brainless and a student. But he hears a lot, sees a lot, and says something. And then he goes fucks the maid and forgets about everything. Let’s party!

The ruling society of Louisiana – Let’s find an excuse (any kind of excuse) for a nice, long, old-fashioned orgy. Let’s see some blood on the side. Let’s see some torture. Just yuck!

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου